Help me...my applications can't see the Internet connection

marte il guerriero martethewarrior82 at libero.it
Tue Nov 23 23:37:18 UTC 2004

Please someone help me.
I have a very serious problem with my Internet connection.
I try to connect to the Internet with kppp and everything is ok (I mean that I am really connected to the Internet: I hear noises
from modem and, in the end, I see the icon that appers when you're  connected to the Internet). The problem is that when I
try to use some network application (as Opera, Mozilla, ThunderBird and so on) they don't see the network. I tried also with
the “ping” command and I had the same result. What I have to do to let my applications see the network?? Please help me
'cause I really don't know what to do. In the past I already had this problem (for istance when I was using Linux Mandrake)
but I could overcome it just installing “dip” package but I see that Linux Fedora Core 2 doesn't have it.

Someone told me that I've to check my “host.conf” and “hosts” file located in \etc. I tried to do it but I can't see anything
wrong. Anyway, I am going to write in this email the structure of them so you can help and tell me if something is wrong with
it:

host.conf
order hosts,bind

hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

As you can see, both of them have only one line.

My operative system is Linux Fedora Core 2 and I am using Kppp to connect to the Internet. Please someone help me
cause I really need to use Internet from Linux.
Thanks to everybody.

Marte