Problem with the new kernel upgrade

John Mellor john at mellor.dyndns.org
Wed Nov 24 01:19:02 UTC 2004

I have been unable to pick up the latest rpm updates over numerous
retries for two days now, due to some kind of unknown new fault.  I'm
stumped.

I've tried both up2date and yum.  The up2date agent downloads the rpm
files and then just exits, with no indication of the problem.  The yum
client segfaults, but /var/log/yum.log, /var/log/up2date and
/var/log/messages do not show anything at all wrong.

I've done an rpm --rebuilddb in the assumption that somehow my rpm db
has become corrupted, but that does not seem to have done anything.
I've also done a yum clean and refetched the rpms and headers twice, on
the off chance that there was a bad site in my yum.conf list.

If it helps any, this is an AMD Thunderbird processor, with plenty of
ram, swap and disk available.  Other than the nVidia driver, its stock.

What's wrong?

Here's the output from yum:

Downloading Packages
Getting kernel-sourcecode-2.6.9-1.6_FC2.noarch.rpm
kernel-sourcecode-2.6.9-1 100% |=========================|  44 MB
01:33
Getting kernel-2.6.9-1.6_FC2.i686.rpm
kernel-2.6.9-1.6_FC2.i686 100% |=========================|  16 MB
00:34
Getting kernel-doc-2.6.9-1.6_FC2.noarch.rpm
kernel-doc-2.6.9-1.6_FC2. 100% |=========================| 2.0 MB
00:05
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!