FC-3 kernel failed on SCSI machine

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Nov 24 03:18:23 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 11:49:07PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Sadly, the FC-3 kernel failed on my SCSI-only machine with a kernel
>> panic. There was some sort of problem with initrd.
>
> Failed how, when? Right after install? What sort of problem with the
> initrd? I ask because I had a problem on an all-SCSI system testing the
> FC2 kernel update (kernel-2.6.9-1.2_FC2) where it created an empty (12k)
> initrd.

The first error message, as I recall, was
 mount: error 6 moounting ext3
The final error message was
 mount /initrd/dev failed 2

I should explain that the failure does not particularly worry me,
as I never run distribution kernels in any case -
I prefer to compile the latest kernel and use that.

But it seemed to me worth pointing out that there was a problem
upgrading from FC-2 to FC-3,
and presumably there would have been the same problem but worse
if a clean installtion of FC-3 had been tried
(since there would have been no other kernels available).

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366