Gmail account and this mailinglist

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 03:36:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:27:52 -0600 (CST), Satish Balay
<balay at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> > To all who follow this list by getting the mails through a Gmail account
> > and who mail with it here.
> >
> > It seems that GMail - which appears to be popular among the subscribers
> > - is setting the sender email address automatically too as the reply-to
> > address, though this is not necessary. It even leads to the fact that
> > when replying to list mails by Gmail account users the answer goes both
> > to the list (which is made reply-to address by the list manager
> > software) as well to the GMail account.
>
> I have indicated this problem a couple of times on this list..
>
> Currently when I reply - I manually remove the extra adresses
> (user at gmail.com) from the To: fileld.
>
> I guess I should figure out a pine rule to do this automatically. But
> a better solution is for gmail to fix this. (make it a user option)
>
> I'm off filing a bug-report to gmail..
>
> Satish
>
> --

Well I just hit 'reply' to Satish's post, and wanted to see if it had
the list as the return address or Satish.  This particular time it had
the list so that's cool, but I know what you mean, I saw that earlier
today.  If you just hit 'reply' with a gmail account and you are like
me, signed up to multiple lists, you will probably send a lot of
individual mails when you want it to be a post only.  I find myself in
the habit of 'reply all', then eliminating the individual from the
double emails, at least some of the time.  With list traffic I can't
guarantee that I won't occasionally send a duplicate since some of my
mails are sent as quick scribbles.

Cheers
Marc