Newbie question - ftp/http access from Linux box in a windows domain

Jorge Fábregas fabregasj at prtc.net
Wed Nov 24 03:20:13 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 9:40 pm, Church, Simon wrote:
> This box needs to be able to ftp and http out to the internet and it needs
> to go through our windows 2003 ISA proxy server. What do I need to do to
> make this happen?

Hi,

You need to provide more details. Is this going to be a head-less machine? Is
somebody going to use the machine for these purposes?

If someboy is going to be using it...for http and ftp...just make sure you
select the appropiate proxy in your browser.

If it's going to http and ftp outside -via some scripts- then you need to make
sure you set the environment variable "http_proxy". You could do it like
this, in your script:

export http_proxy=192.168.2.1:8080
wget blablabla...
ftp bla bla...

Most decent programs will catch the http_proxy variable.

Finally, please don't post in HTML to the list.

HTH,
Jorge