FC3 Seems to "Freeze" sometimes

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 24 13:31:52 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 21:10, Colin O'Flynn wrote:
> I'm having a wierd to me problem with FC3. It occasionally seems to stop
> responding for periods of time. I can't click on anything with the mouse,
> then eventually it starts responding again.
>
> Some useful information:
>
> -Using KDE
> -Using nvidia driver
>
> It seems to happen when Firefox is open, though I have that open a lot
> anyway. I get some error messages from X about "BadWindow" and invalid
> window parameter. However I seem to get these when there is no problem as
> well..
>
> Anyone else see this? I tried searching but couldn't find much.

How intriguing.

I mostlty use KDE (3.2 is current) on Debian/Sarge, and on that syste I
principally use Thunderbird for email.

It often locks up for a few seconds when I attempt to swipe some text in order
to delete it.

I've sort of supected I had slightly stuffed settings arising from a rough
history; I'm not sure now, but my KDE on that system may well have settings
going back to Valhalla. Earlier possibly.

If not RHL, then certainly Woody (KDE 2.2) and assorted unofficial updates
until I eventually decided too much was far too much and upgraded to Sarge.

Now it seems that my problem might be an actual bug. I don't think I will
report it - if I were a developer I'd say, "What do you expect? Clean out
your old settings."

And I certainly have a few of those, but can't say whether they're related:
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode:  18
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x4b0cc7b

Now, atm I'm using an nVidia card but I this system has been around a bit. For
ages it was on my Athlon (with this video card), but that went belly up and I
put the disk into a Pentium III box (Gateway E3200) with ATI graphics.

Then I fixed the A and "reinstalled" as I've outlined previously.

It's probably not related the the nvidia card.

--
Cheers
John