yum

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 13:35:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:56:54 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> Paul Tomblin wrote:
> > You must be right about that, because last night yum installed the
> > updates.  However, the cron.daily email had no summary of what was
> > done.  Before, didn't it at least give you a one liner for each rpm
> > that it installed?  Now I've got nothing.
>
> Isn't that in the output from logwatch?
>
> You may find that logwatch runs earlier in the set of overnight cron jobs than
> yum, so a set of yum updates that happen one night won't appear in the
> logwatch mail until the following night.

Well, since logwatch's cron file is called 00-logwatch, of course it
runs first.  That's kind of annoying.  I've renamed 00-logwatch to
01-logwatch, and renamed yum.cron to 00-yum.cron so it runs first.

In the past, yum run out of /etc/cron.daily just spat out a line or
two if it had installed sometihng, and you got it in yoru cron.daily
email.  No muss, no fuss, no bother.  That seems a lot less error
prone than this trying to rearrange stuff in /etc/cron.daily so that
logwatch runs after the things you want to watch.

--
 "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and