Thinkpad 600E / FC2 soundcard woes

William Norfleet williamnorfleet2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 14:15:37 UTC 2004

No, sound did not work when the older FC2 kernel was booted.  Configuration files such as /etc/modprobe.conf seem intact and unchanged.

Satish Balay <balay at fastmail.fm> wrote:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, William Norfleet wrote:

> The soundcard on my IBM Thinkpad 600E WAS working fine
> under FC2 until I did an up2date last week (including
> kernel). /etc/modprobe.conf has this addition:
>
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
> options snd-cs4236 isapnp=0 cport=0x538 port=0x530
> sb_port=0x220 fm_port=0x388 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0
>
> added to /etc/rc.local:
>
> modprobe snd-card-0
>
> The above additions are inspired by:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-May/msg04737.html
>
> What might have broken during the last up2date?

Does it work if you boot back to the older FC2 kernel?

I've noticed that sound stopped working on my 600E during FC3 beta -
but didn't follow up on it as I wasn't used sound on it anyway..

Satish

http://mail.yahoo.com