Setting the shell prompt to display directory path information.

Jon Haugsand jonhaug at ifi.uio.no
Wed Nov 24 14:21:34 UTC 2004

* David Hodge
> I want to be able to display the full path to where I currently am in
> the file system on the shell prompt like:
>
> [userid/directory/subdirectory/subdirectory]  I think that the
> following will do the job:
>
> PS1="[\u\w]"
>
> Now where do I place this setting so that it executes when I or any
> other users logs in to an FC2 server console.

I would think the best place is a possible new file called:

  /etc/profile.d/local.sh
  /etc/profile.d/local.csh

Both files, the first in bourn shell syntax and the second in C shell
syntax.  At least any bourne shell (like bash) will run the
/etc/profile and therein is a loop that reads all files in profile.d
that matches *.sh.  Remember to set read access to the files.

--
Jon Haugsand
  Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway, mailto:jonhaug at ifi.uio.no
  http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonhaug/, Phone: +47 22 85 24 92