daytime service

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Nov 24 15:27:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Satish Balay wrote:

> I've seen the time FC3 to be 12 hours off - when I suspend/resume. Not
> sure why it happend. I've tried the following - so far its appears to
> work:
>
> - run system-config-date
> - uncheck 'Enable Network Time Protocol'
> - fix date/time & timezone to correct values.
> - <apply changes - I guess this sets the hardwareclock to the correct time>
> - Now re-enable 'Enable Network Time Protocol'

You'd probably find that the following works more neatly:

service ntpd stop;ntpdate;service ntpd start

This will stop ntpd, update with the time according to the ntp server (and
trust it whatever), then start the service back up again.

Or just change your /etc/ntp.conf and add a line towards the end (such that
there's no 1000 second panic set):

tinker panic 0

Then ntpd will always try to correct the time, even if it's more than 1000
seconds out.

jh

--
"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He
  has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would