daytime service

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 24 16:01:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 10:34, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, John Hodrien wrote:
>
> > You'd probably find that the following works more neatly:
> >
> > service ntpd stop;ntpdate;service ntpd start
>
> Yeah - I was having to do this each time I restart network (after
> bootup or resume from suspend) - which is annoying.
>
> Its beter to have the HWCLOCK set correctly - and then ntpd fix the
> drift over this (presumably correct) value..
>
> Perhaps this is the installer (anaconda) bug. It doesn't set the
> HWCLOCK correctly - when 'Update time via NTP' option is chosen at
> install time.

Been awhile since I had to mess with this but I seem to remember there
was a bios clock setting on some systems.  Maybe the newer systems don't
have this but it sounds to me as if when you boot your system the system
clock is being set from the hardware clock.  If that is off (different
timezone or does/doesn't have DST set) then your system would startup
with the wrong time.  If it is to far off then ntp will not correct it.
Check if your system has such a setting in the bios.  If you can get
that close enough then ntp should be able to take that time and adjust
the drift.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Paranoids are people, too; they have their own problems.  It's easy
to criticize, but if everybody hated you, you'd be paranoid too.
		-- D.J. Hicks