Where are we going in the Fedora development?

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Nov 24 16:07:18 UTC 2004

Once again I want to share something but don't want to start a rant.

I finally got FC3 installed and have serious questions as to where
this Fedora Development is going. Are changes being made for good
reason or just to be different? Is there good reason to have two
panels on the screen (at top and bottom) instead of one, two
essentially equivalent menus under different icons, logout hidden in a
different place, etc.
My reaction to having changes made in resolv.conf disappear after a
reboot was not a positive one. Luckily I had a hint of why this was
happening in a previous posting.

I could go on with changes like udev and /media in place of /mnt but
you get the idea. Are these changes caused by a overwhelming goal that
trumps the confusion they cause.

In the back of my mind I would like Windows users to switch to Linux seeing
it can be presented in as friendly appearance as Windows is to them.
Sun is trying the same thing with their Sun Java Desktop system.
FC1 and FC2 approached this goal in my mind. The red hat was where
the start icon was in Windows with approximately the same
functionality. The applications that most Windows users used were
right there on the panel, etc.

FC3 is a break with this tradition. The panel menu for adding
applications or launchers is much better but other features of the
desktop involve changes that I would like to believe make improved
functionality but I am not convinced yet.

I am willing to believe that since I have only fooled around with FC3
for a short time there are tremendous advantages to it that I have
yet to discover. We will see. Needless to say I would like to hear
opinions about all of this from the list.

Say!  You've struck a heap of trouble--
Bust in business, lost your wife;
No one cares a cent about you,
You don't care a cent for life;