command line applications don't handle accented characters well

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 24 18:00:25 UTC 2004

Paul Tomblin wrote:
> Before "upgrading" to Fedora Core 3 from RedHat 9,
> termcap/terminfo/ncurses applications handled accented characters
> well.  But now, they're a mish-mash.
>
> For instance, somebody sent me an email with a word in the subject
> line with some sort of accent.  I'm ssh'ed in from a RedHat 9 machine.
>  In mutt's list of messages, the word looks like
> "Laoc<i-umlaut><upside down question mark><1/2>n".  In the mutt
> message display, it looks like "Laoco\366n".  In less it looks like
> "Laoco<o-umlaut>n" (which is actually correct).  In vim, it looks like
> "Laoco<capital-A-squiggle><backwards paragraph symbol>n".    Also,
> yesterday I tried to type a British pound sign in vim (using ^KPd), I
> got a <capital-A-squiggle> as well as the pound sign, and they acted
> like one character that took up two spaces.  I get similar but
> different results when I ssh in from a Macintosh.

Hi Paul,

It sounds like you've got UTF-8 issues.

The SSH protocol doesn't really have support for different character
sets on either end. Can you check what LANG and LC_ are on the various
boxes?

It works fine for me, either locally or SSHed in from elsewhere.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | A woodpigeon would, If a woodpigeon could,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | But a woodpigeon can't, So it won't.