Use of /media instead of /mnt

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 24 21:30:47 UTC 2004

>Anyone,

>Can anyone explain why the switch to /media instead of /mnt
>In my mind, media is something you put into a device to read or write,
>/mnt contains mount points where devices can be mounted to access media.
>Am I just not getting the logic behind the /media change?

/media is a recent addition to the File Hierarchy System (Standard?) which describes which directory does what.  /mnt was for temporary, non-formatted systems, such as tape drives.  /media is for devices which are expected to be formatted with their own file system, such as floppy drives, external hard drives, cdrom/dvd-rom, etc.

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!