kernel-2.6.9-1.6_FC2 boot failure where kernel-2.6.9-1.3_FC2 works

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 24 22:51:26 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 23:01, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> This doesn't solve the original problems of labels not working.  But
> IMHO, labels were bad idea to begin with, so I can't say I feel sorry
> for seeing them not working ;-)

Labels are a good idea implemented poorly. The kernel should whinge loutly
when it sees duplicates.

My background is in IBM mainframes. Even as far back as OS (aka OS/360)
storage volumes (disk ^ such and tape) were labelled. OS complained whenever
it saw two volumes with the same "volume serial number."

Back then, disk volumes held no more than one filesystem.

There was never any confustion about duplicates because they were always
announced at the time. During IPL the operator had to choose one; once the
system was up the newer one was unmounted.

--
Cheers
John