[FC3] Switching GUI terminals fails

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu Nov 25 00:43:42 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:
> P Jones wrote:
>> Replying to my own question; I found the session that I started on 8. It
>> has moved to 9. So now I have my main session running on 7, and the
>> second session that I started on terminal 5 or 6, and that fired up on
>> 8, has now somehow moved to 9. Can anyone repeat this and if so, what's
>> happening?
>>

> I tested this and got F7 for the first and F8 for the second GUI. This
> is with all updates applied and with both logins from the same user
> account in gnome.

Jim is getting close to the right answer here.  It doesn't matter which
DISPLAY number you start the server on.  The first X server will be put
on VT 7, the second on VT 8, etc (or more to the point, they will start
on the *next* available VT.  If you think that the numbers are supposed
to correlate, then you are over-thinking the solution.  If you found it
on VT 9 when you expected it on VT 8, its because Linux still thinks
that some other process has assigned VT 8....  If the server completely
shuts down, then its VT should be usable again, but if you start up a
new server before a previous one has completed its shutdown, you get
what you see.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com