[802.11b] installation of a centrino card

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Nov 25 00:58:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 10:22:03AM -0500, Ernie McCracken wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 03:54:57PM +0100, AlilouLinux wrote:
> > My card is an internal card (centrino) it is an intel PRO/Wireless 2100 3B
> > mini PCI Adapter (802.11b WLAN) it is not available in the list of "other
> > wireless card". What must I do to download its package and how to choose it
> > in the "other wireless card" list?
>
> You can build it yourself by following the instructions found at:
>
> http://ipw2100.sf.net/
>
> Alternatively, atrpms has a yum/apt-enabled repository where you can "yum
> install ipw2100" - http://atrpms.net/

It is recommended to use

yum install kernel-module-ipw2100-`uname -r` ipw2100

(or same cmd line with apt-get)

in order to make sure the right kernel module is pulled in, otherwise
yum may pull in a kernel module for another kernel version/flavour,
e.g. smp on non-smp systems or vice versa.

(same advice goes for any package involving kernel modules)

Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net