Kernel Panic?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu Nov 25 05:39:51 UTC 2004

Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 09:32 -0800, Michael W. Carney wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 16:06 -0800, RoboticGolem wrote:
>>
>>>Ok.  So when the system locks up and the Scroll Lock and Caps Lock are
>>>flashing, that means a kernel panic right?  How to I track down whats
>>>causing this?  Any ideas?  It only does it in X and I dont know the
>>>first thing about debugging software.
>>>
>>>_Matt
>>
>>I'm seeing precisely the same problem. It started with FC3 (didn't have
>>this problem with FC{1,2}).
>
> I have the same problem, but only with kernels kernel-2.6.9-1.678_FC3
> and kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3, NOT with kernel-2.6.9-1.667. After a few
> hours, the system would lock up, and the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock leds
> blink. I have all three kernels installed, but currently only running
> the 667 one.

The blinking lights is indicative of a kernel panic.  There used to be
some code in the 2.4 kernel with a comment to the effect of "perhaps we
should blink the panic info via morse code".  I don't know about the 2.6
kernel.  When I was getting them (2.4 kernel, bad driver somewhere if I
recall right), there was no nice information in the system logs, and
there was no automatic reboot for the system to recover.  If I didn't
notice "das blinkin' lights" it just sat there like that.  It doesn't
look like anything has changed in 2.6?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com