awstats overloading system

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 05:58:40 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 November 2004 00:22, Mike Ramirez wrote:
>hey
>
>Awstats and Webalizer is overloading this system.  The problem is
> its serveing high traffic and the users demand stats.  They updated
> and history but they have in domlogs 1.1GB in total used in about
> two months.
>
>My question to you guys is how or whats the best way for me to lower
> the usage on the system and be able to keep the stats updated and
> not get rid of the existing logs?  I know removing the logs is the
> best solution. But its not an option this time.
>
>If you need more info let me know thanks.
>
>System:
>Processor #1 Vendor: GenuineIntel
>Processor #1 Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
>Processor #1 speed: 2680.630 MHz
>Processor #1 cache size: 512 KB
>
>Memory: 514564k/523200k available (2092k kernel code, 8052k
> reserved, 679k data, 148k init, 0k highmem)
>
>Linux sv33.vibehosting.com 2.6.9-1.6_FC2 #1 Thu Nov 18 22:03:19 EST
> 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
>             total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached Mem:        515116     513016       2100          0
> 2012     178148 -/+ buffers/cache:     332856     182260
>Swap:      1020088      66720     953368
>Total:     1535204     579736     955468

Well, I'm not an expert on how it works, but there is the logrotate
function that is run by cron each week, which keeps the last 4 weeks
worth of logs in seperate files, and adds the one that would be 5th
to an archive of that log to date, it taking up less space in the .gz
format.  Humm, I may have miss-spoke, I see my particular setup is
not keeping the .gz for any of it so I only have 4 weeks plus the
current one on hand at any one time.  In any event, see the manpage
for logrotate, it may be helpfull.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)