Serial terminal emulator

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Nov 25 10:15:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:06:48PM -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 22:43, fredex wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 08:58:37PM -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > >

> > > Why not use kermit?  I believe it has good vt100 support and is part of
> > > FC2 and probably FC3.
> >
> > Kermit is great, I use it all the time.
> >
> > But it is not a terminal emulator. Well, C-kermit isn't. K95 is and MS-Kermit
> > is, but C-kermit is not. You get ONLY whatever the capabilities are of
> > the terminal you're actually using when you run C-kermit, no more, no less.
> > It is usually possible to make do that way, but sometimes you have a remote
> > app/system that demands some known terminal type other than the one you
> > have.
> >
> > Fred
>
> Heck!  Why did they mess with kermit?  That used to be THE tool to use
> across all kinds of systems.  Wonder if you can still get the tape with
> all the different versions on it?

AFAIK (and I've been using it for a decade or so) ckermit has never
provided temrinal emulation. It provides all the power and flexibility
of kermit scripting and file transfer, however. I don't mean to say that
you're stuck without a terminal (ha ha), but rather that you're stuck with
whatever terminal you have. For Windows and MessyDOS, you NEED teminal
emulation since you don't really HAVE any kind of terminal capabilities.
Note that there are a number of different implementations of kermit, of
which I've mentioned just three. Perhaps you're thinking of one of the
other ones for some other platform?

> If minicom won't do the job then I guess you are left to write one
> yourself.

Since the linux console (also xterm) provides services similar to VT100,
you can often get away with using VT100 term type on whatever remote
system you are talking to, as long as it doesn't require the function
keys to work the same way.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding