Updated redhat-menu rpm and menus gone!

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 11:50:58 UTC 2004

Tim Slover wrote:

>  I forgot to tell the particulars. I have fedora Core 2 that I
>  upgraded KDE to 3.3.1 . I put KDE repositories in my yum.conf to
>  upgrade KDE. I noticed an update for Redhat-menus while running Yumi
>  today so I selected it. Now my menus are wiped out. Gnome is pretty
>  much unusable. When I try to run command line it crashes Gnome
>  panels. Everthing but menus runs in KDE except menus. They are pretty
>  much all gone. Is there a way to rebuild a configuration file? Under
>  applications window it lists no applications. I know they are all
>  there because I can run them from command line in KDE. Could be good
>  time to upgrade to FC3?
>
> > Updated Redhat-menus rpm and extended menus are gone. All I have is
> > run application which crashes when I
>
>  try
>
> > to run an application. I have search for files,
>
>  recent
>
> > documents, lock screen, log out only. How do I get my menus back?

It's nice to know I'm not alone. I had exactly the same problem and I
was panic stricken. I've reinstalled Linux 5 times over the past few
months (I'm learning more each time....).

Fortunately I figured this one out and I came to the same conclusion
that you did. My answer was to reinstall the original package...

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/redhat-menus-1.4.1-1.noarch.rpm

rpm -Uvh redhat-menus-1.4.1-1.noarch.rpm --force

I was back in business and heaved a huge sight of relief.

Scott