Can't get shockwave viewer to install in FC3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Nov 25 12:16:07 UTC 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:
> On Thursday 25 November 2004 11:58, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>The article above refers to my BitTorrent packages, which certainly work
>>(including the GUI) on my FC3 systems at home and at work. What problems
>>are you having with them?
>

> I've never been able to get it to work even under FC2 I may not even use it
> but I would like to see what it looks like and test the benefit to me.
>
> I'm not an expert, I have the Icon/Menu entry for the GUI front end if I click
> on it nothing happens so I opened a terminal and ran btdownloadgui.py this is
> the output I got.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 262, in run
>     app = btWxApp(0, params)
>   File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 249, in __init__
>     wxApp.__init__(self, x)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/_core.py", line 5243, in __init__
>     self._BootstrapApp()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/_core.py", line 4931, in
> _BootstrapApp
>     return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
>   File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 253, in OnInit
>     d = DownloadInfoFrame(doneflag)
>   File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 108, in __init__
>     colSizer.Add(50, 50, 0, wxEXPAND)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/_core.py", line 8966, in Add
>     return _core_.Sizer_Add(*args, **kwargs)
> TypeError: wxWindow, wxSizer, wxSize, or (w,h) expected for item
>
> Don't knock your brains out I'm used to it now.

This is typical of an unpatched version of the GUI. Try the BitTorrent RPMs at
http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/bittorrent/ instead. You might also want
to try gnome-btdownload instead of BitTorrent-gui and wxPythonGTK2; not only
is it a much smaller download, IMHO it's a better GUI for BitTorrent.

Paul.