FC2 and RPM

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 13:36:12 UTC 2004

Dave Woolcock wrote:

> er, yes - I thought you could do that.
>
> Otherwise Linux is worse than Windoze DLL hell

In my experience, yes, you should be able to do that ... IF you've got
the right dependencies installed. That, too should be fine, but you
could end up installing quite a bit of legacy RPMs to satisfy the legacy
requirements.

It depends on the application, of course. Character mode applications
generally have few dependencies (that aren't satisfied by generic Unix
applications), while something that depends on an otherwise obsolete
toolkit will obviously have to have enough of that toolkit installed.

But the Linux developers take application-level binary compatibility
seriously: you should still be able to run ten year old binaries.

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "Isn't air travel wonderful?  Breakfast in London,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | dinner in New York, luggage in Brazil."