Anybody got FC3 installed on software raid-1 with Grub

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Nov 25 14:45:54 UTC 2004

Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> Hi, There seems to be a number of bugs relating to Grub not installing
> well on software raid-1 config. The symptoms seem to be that after a
> install, the system just hangs on boot

I did, and it works great for me.  However, I'm using LILO (and
sometimes SILO ;-) ).  I don't need fancy graphics in boot loader, LILO
handles mirrored boot drives correctly out-of-the-box for long time now,
and most of my configs are Linux-only machines (those few multi-OS boxes
are also rather simple and trivial cases).  This makes LILO perfect
choice for me.  Grub has some more features than LILO, but guess what, I
never ever had need to use any of those.  So I said goodbye to Grub, and
went back LILO road.

I've played a lot with Grub back in the Red Hat 7.3 days to get it
installed correctly for mirrored boot drives configuartion (software
raid-1 using Linux md).  Back in those days, Anaconda would configure
Grub to be installed only on the drive where first submirror is.  While
it is possible (although not trivial) to install Grub correctly on all
disks that have submirrors of boot partition (and I have done it, and
was using it for a while), using LILO in this type of config proved to
be much more simple and more reliable solution.

I don't know if the part of Anaconda installer that hanles installation
and initialization of Grub has been updated to correctly install Grub
for mirrored boot drives.  Even if it does, I don't think I will be
switching back to Grub anytime soon (LILO simply works so good for me,
that I don't even consider experimenting with anything else).