Recursive Directory Link - libxml-devel

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Thu Nov 25 16:43:13 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 November 2004 02:41, Paul Howarth wrote:

> It's a compatibility thing.
>
> The headers in that directory can be accessed in two ways:
>
> #include <gnome-xml/example.h>
> #include <gnome-xml/libxml/example.h>
>
> One of them is probably deprecated but the symlink allows both to
> work without having to duplicate the files.

Ah, thanks, that's interesting.  I noticed it because grep threw up
a warning note:

# grep -R no-word /usr/include/gnome*
grep: warning: /usr/include/gnome-xml/libxml: recursive directory
loop

The authors of grep seem to have thought it unusual enough to
indicate a problem to the user and it occured to me that this may
cause other tools which traverse the directory structure to choke
or hang without such a warning.

Lesson learned for when I write my own little directory traversal
utility I guess!

Regards, Mike Klinke