FC? as a cross-development system

Jay Moore jaymo at mail.bokler.com
Thu Nov 25 16:59:16 UTC 2004

Foreword: I am soliciting informed opinions. It is NOT my intent to
start a holy war.

I am fairly new to Linux, and not at all familiar with the strengths and
weaknesses of the various Linux distributions. I am starting a new
project that will require development of some embedded systems, and I am
therefore having to consider my options for a development system.

My initial research led me to consider Debian (woody). However, it
didn't get along with my dev system hardware (a box I built myself). I
next tried FC2, and was amazed at the ease of installation, and the fact
that all of my hardware was detected and supported automatically.
However, after reading this list for a couple of weeks it seems that
there is  not much discussion relevant to my intended usage
(x-development for embedded systems).

So, without further ado, I'd be interested in some opinions wrt FC2 (or
FC3 eventually) suitability for this role. I can provide more details on
the specifics of my project if that is relevant to the selection of a
paarticular distribution to support x-development.

Finally, if there's a different list that's more relevant to this topic,
I'd also appreciate a pointer.

Thnx,
Jay