Firewall on FC3

Terry Linhardt linhardt at swbell.net
Thu Nov 25 17:49:03 UTC 2004

fedora wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I´m really considering to install a proxy/firewall  on a FC3. It´s a
> good idea?! You guys already implement some like that!?
>
> I´m really in doubt about that!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Iassa

First of all, could you talk a bit about your goals? Do you want to
build a firewall "appliance" that sits between your network and the
outside world? All traffic to and from the Internet would have to pass
through this machine. OR, do you want to put firewalling features on
individual client machines that also run other applications?

A firewall appliance can do a lot of nice things. You can control
traffic in and out. You can select which ports to open or leave closed.
You can do address translations, so the outside world can see only the
IP address of your firewall machine.

I would suggest FC3 will do firewalling quite nicely. But, as I said,
first give us a bit more information as to what you are trying to
accomplish.

Thanks...Terry