Multibooting

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Nov 25 18:13:48 UTC 2004

Terry Linhardt wrote:
> I agree with Paul. You CAN use just one grub.conf file, but if a new
> version of the kernel is installed for a 2nd (or 3rd) Linux partition,
> then the  grub.conf file needs to be manually updated. At least, that's
> the case with my own configuration.
>
> In my environment, I have 3 versions of Linux, each with their own boot
> partition. My bootloader in in the MBR.  I loaded the bootloader with
> the 1st Linux install, and for subsequent installations I selected NO
> bootloader. (This is not the only way to do this. But, it's my current
> configuration).  However, by doing this, whenever a new kernel is
> installed in my 2nd or 3rd versions of Linux, I need to manually modify
> grub.conf in hda1
>
> As noted...not the only way, but the one I settled on.

As I mentioned much earlier in the thread, a way of avoiding having to do the
manual edits is to have the 2nd and subsequent Linux installs put grub in the
first sector of their root/boot partitions and then use the 1st Linux grub to
chainload grub for the other installs. Once set up, this "just works" and no
further manual edits are needed after kernel updates.

This could be done in addition to making manual edits to the "master"
grub.conf, for a "best of both" solution.

Paul.