Multibooting

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 18:27:09 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 November 2004 12:27, Satish Balay wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Paul Howarth wrote:
>> Satish Balay wrote:
>> > An alternative way to install - where no manual intervention is
>> > required is to have a common '/boot' partition for all OSes -
>> > this way there is also a common /boot/grub/grub.conf.
>> >
>> > So, if you update FC3 kernel - the correct grub.conf is updated.
>> > And if you update RHL9 kernel - the correct grub.conf is
>> > updated.
>>
>> Wouldn't this cause problems:
>>
>> 1. because there would have to be two "template" boot entries, one
>> for each OS, and grubby might have trouble figuring out which one
>> to use?
>
>Nope - the 'root' parameter will be different for each OS. (and
>different partitions on the disk. Only /boot - a separate patition
> is common)

I'm doing this on one box here, works just fine.  The only common
partition is /boot, which is /dev/hda1.

>> 2. because FC3 might want to use SELinux labels, which RH9
>> wouldn't support?
>
>Yeah - I don't know how selinux/ext3-changes would affect this.
>
>> A similar approach I thought of, which would also have these
>> problems, would be to mount the FC3 /boot partition on (say)
>> /fc3boot and make the RH9 /boot/grub/grub.conf a symlink to
>> /fc3boot/grub/grub.conf

I'm also doing that, but its also giving me problems because the BDI
installs ext3 isn't comfortable with the FC3's version of ext3, so
when I go to boot the BDI partition, its drops me to a shell to fsck
the partition (But e2fsck can't check it claiming I need a newer
version than 1.35 which AFAIK is current), but advises me that a
ctl-d will continue the boot, which it then does without any further
problems.  I can boot FC3, and then the e2fsck (version 1.35 also)
checks it just fine.

If someone can fill me in on howto alleviate that, I'd appreciate it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)