I can't burn CDs anymore (was Re: how to download kde....).

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 22:34:47 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>  On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 01:20:13 -0700, Scott wrote:
>
> > Personally I have and I prefer k3b. It's a kick-ass application.
> >
> > On a related note, suddenly I can't burn with anything, even just
> > plain ole command cdrecord....
>

>  Which version of Fedora Core? Which kernel version? Which package
>  version/release of k3b?

I knew I should have saved this question for later. :-)

I was gonna try to research it first before asking here.

Oh well, I guess now is as good a time as any...

I'm running:

kernel-2.6.9-1.678_FC3
cdrecord-2.01.1-5
k3b-0.11.17-0.1.3.kde
nautilus-cd-burner-2.8.3-6

The problem isn't K3b or Nautilus, it's either cdrecord, the Kernel
and/or some configuration I managed to mess up. :-)

It worked fine a week ago.... I burned CDs both from Nautilus and with K3b.

Also here is what happens when I try to use cdrecord by itself (this is
how I know k3b isn't the problem).

[root at localhost ISOs]# cdrecord dev=1.2.0 SUSE-Linux-9.2-LiveCD-Gnome.iso
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: '1.2.0'
devname: '1.2.0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '1.2.0'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
[root at localhost ISOs]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.83
04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus1:
1,0,0 100) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-M1202' '1020' Removable CD-ROM
1,1,0 101) 'SONY ' 'CD-RW CRX100E ' '1.0m' Removable CD-ROM
1,2,0 102) *
1,3,0 103) *
1,4,0 104) *
1,5,0 105) *
1,6,0 106) *
1,7,0 107) *
[root at localhost ISOs]# cdrecord dev=help
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
Supported SCSI transports for this platform:

Transport name: sg
Transport descr.: Generic transport independent SCSI
Transp. layer ind.:
Target specifier: bus,target,lun
Target example: 1,2,0
SCSI Bus scanning: supported
Open via UNIX device: not supported

Transport name: pg
Transport descr.: SCSI transport for ATAPI over Parallel Port
Transp. layer ind.:
Target specifier: bus,target,lun
Target example: 1,2,0
SCSI Bus scanning: supported
Open via UNIX device: not supported

Transport name: ATA
Transport descr.: ATA Packet specific SCSI transport
Transp. layer ind.: ATAPI:
Target specifier: bus,target,lun
Target example: ATAPI:1,2,0
SCSI Bus scanning: supported
Open via UNIX device: not supported

Transport name: ATA
Transport descr.: ATA Packet specific SCSI transport using sg interface
Transp. layer ind.: ATA:
Target specifier: bus,target,lun
Target example: 1,2,0
SCSI Bus scanning: supported
Open via UNIX device: not supported

Transport name: RSCSI
Transport descr.: Remote SCSI
Transp. layer ind.: REMOTE:
Target specifier: rscsi at host:bus,target,lun
Target example: REMOTE:rscsi at host:1,2,0
SCSI Bus scanning: supported
Open via UNIX device: not supported

------

So what do I do next? :-)