kernel-2.6.9-1.6_FC2 boot failure where kernel-2.6.9-1.3_FC2 works

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Nov 25 22:49:26 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 November 2004 23:17, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> > around is when labels become really useful, I have a linux dedicated
> > drive with several linux distributions in different partitions and using
> > labels really simplifies working with them.

Problem _I_ had with lables is two RHL's on one box. As I said, poorly
implemented.

> Than your case is rather specific case and you belong to group of, hm,
> let be generous here, maybe 0.001% of total Linux population?  Yeah, I
> know, now there will be 10 more guys and girls arguing that there's more

Let me see.

I plug in USB camera. Shos up at /dev/sda.
I add USB drive. Shows up at /dev/sdb.

Tomorrow
I plug in USB drive. Shows up at /dev/sda
I plug in USB camera. Shows up at /dev/sdb.

What if I have _two_ USB drives (I do - one for carrying stuff, one for
backups)?.

A filesystem label would help overcome the confusion.

Didn't I read somewhere that sata drives are hdx with 2.4 kernels, sdx with
2.6?.

--
Cheers
John