emacs says "no fonts found" - more info

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Nov 26 11:30:29 UTC 2004

On 11/25/2004 10:04:51 PM, Brian Mury wrote:

> I think I figured out what caused my problem. I recently installed
> Microsoft Truetype fonts as found here:
> http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc3.shtml#ttf
>
> I removed the rpm, but emacs still complains about no fonts. Adobe
> Acrobat Reader also no longer works.

I'm guessing the post script messed up the xfs font path.
I haven't seen the post script - but the proper way to alter the font
path is thru chkfontpath

IE -

%post
if [ "$1" = 1 ]; then
/usr/sbin/chkfontpath --add %{_datadir}/fonts/coreweb
fi
fc-cache

%preun
if [ "$1" = 0 ]; then
/usr/sbin/chkfontpath --remove %{_datadir}/fonts/coreweb
fi

%postun
fc-cache

-=-
Not all distros use chkfontpath, so it is possible the rpm tries to
edit the fontpath manually and messed up.

I would expect though that X11 wouldn't start if the font path was
screwed up - but maybe there's a default fallback for X11 that isn't
there for emacs?

Anyway - IF the rpm you speak of is to blame, it's probably in how it
added itself to the the xfs fontpath.