FC3: does Apache-2.0.52 have LFS (large file support) built-in?

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Fri Nov 26 14:10:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 02:25:17AM +0100, Patrick wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 06:40 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> [snip]
> > How are the vendors and mirrors doing it?
> > I downloaded fedora-dvd a couple of weeks ago; I probably used rsync but not
> > al mirrors support that.
>
> Good question John. I checked all the US Fedora http mirrors listed on
> fedora.redhat.com to see what they provided. Only 3 sites provide the
> DVD image via http:
>
> 1) driven by tux and reports the DVD iso as 2GB (which is wrong)
> 2) driven by apache-1.3.27 and does not report the size at all
> 3) driven by ? and reports the right size afaict

Hacked up versions of 1.3 can serve >2Gb files, some people use that.
If you build 2.0 with special compiler flags (-DFILE_OFFSET_BITS=64)
that works too, modulo a few bugs - we can't do that in Fedora since it
breaks the binary module interface.

> I think this answers the question. Hardly anybody is serving files >2GB
> via http. Probably because currently Apache can't do it and it has an
> enormous market share. Nevertheless I would love to see Apache support
> >4GB files.

We fixed it for httpd 2.1 and later, for which the first alpha release
was made just last week.  So once httpd 2.2 is stable you'll see this
working in Fedora Core - FC4 with some luck, FC5 without.

Regards,

joe