Dell PowerEdge 420SC Dead upon FC3 install !!!

Winston Ojeda ojedawinston at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 15:43:02 UTC 2004

--- Francis Stevens <Francis.Stevens at bristow.co.uk>
wrote:

> Markku Kolkka wrote:
> > Winston Ojeda kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika
> perjantai, 26.
> > marraskuuta 2004 04:41):
> >
> >>It just dies right after the services load.
> >>Monitor looses signal. Keyboard dead.
> >>X can't do this can it?
> >

> > X takes control of display and keyboard, so of
> course it can kill
> > both if it doesn't work right.
> >

> At the grub boot edit the boot command and replace
> "rhgb quiet" with
> either "single" to boot into single user mode or "3"
> to boot into
> multi-user non-X mode.  This should allow you to try
> and fix a broken X
> configuration.

Well, it sure looks like a video issue. This thing is
so fast I did not think about X trying to kick in so
soon.
Anyways, it seems as the only mode it will take is
800x600 16.
Anything else will kill it again. I checked the logs
and it tells me the Intel Chipeset is Unknown. So it
loads the Generic Vesa drivers.

Anyone know what chipset is on these things anyways?

Thanks,
Winston