Problem with java after upgrading from FC2 to FC3

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Fri Nov 26 18:28:02 UTC 2004

On Friday 26 November 2004 11:55, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> The following script would work OK under FC2:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
>  java -cp /usr/src/saxon811/saxon8.jar net.sf.saxon.Transform $*
>
> But under FC3 I get the following:
>
> libgcj-java-placeholder.sh
>
> This script is a placeholder for the /usr/bin/java
> master link required by jpackage.org conventions.  libgcj's
> rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools are now slave symlinks to these
> masters, and are managed by the alternatives(8) system.
>
> This change was necessary because the rmiregistry, rmic and jar
> tools installed by previous versions of libgcj conflicted with
> symlinks installed by jpackage.org JVM packages.
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: method
> java.io.File.toURI was not found. at
> _Jv_ResolvePoolEntry(java.lang.Class, int)
> (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0) at
> net.sf.saxon.Transform.loadDocuments(java.lang.String, boolean,
> net.sf.saxon.Configuration, boolean) (Unknown Source) at
> net.sf.saxon.Transform.doMain(java.lang.String[],
> java.lang.String) (Unknown Source) at
> net.sf.saxon.Transform.main(java.lang.String[]) (Unknown Source)
>
> What's needed to get things working again?
> --
> Colin Paul Adams
> Preston Lancashire

Sounds like you're running into the "alternatives" system in
conjuntion with java. I'm not real familiar with this as regards
java but I remember some discussion a while back:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=109667175124633&w=2

also take a look at "man alternatives" and this link:

http://people.redhat.com/fitzsim/jpackage-alternatives-quickstart-guide.txt

may at least give you some hints for further exploration.

Regards, Mike Klinke