Need help accessing a remote printer

Terry Linhardt linhardt at swbell.net
Fri Nov 26 18:36:44 UTC 2004

I'm looking for suggestions or ideas to help me access a remote printer.

The printer is on a Fedora Core 3 machine. It is shared. For "debugging"
purposes I have totally disabled any firewalling on the machine.  I can
print without problem from the machine to which the printer is attached.

The "remote" machine is on the same network. It's a wireless
connection.  The remote machine can "see" the remote printer. If I do an
"lpstat -t" it reports that the queue is accepting requests and that the
printer is enable.  BUT, it also reports that the remote machine (not
the printer) is busy. Here is the output from an lpstat -t:

   scheduler is running
   system default destination: ml-1430-5
   device for ml-1430-5: ipp://chastain:631/printers/ml-1430-5
<ipp://chastain:631/printers/ml-1430-5>
   ml-1430-5 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
   printer ml-1430-5 is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
           Network host 'chastain' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds...
   ml-1430-5-1             linhardt          1024   Fri 26 Nov 2004
   11:46:19 AM CST

Any pointers or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks...Terry