Unruly On-Board Video Chip under fc3

Olaf Mueller daily-planet at istari.de
Fri Nov 26 19:19:49 UTC 2004

Hello,

does anybody know how to install a new video card (pci) on a board with
a on-board video chip which could not be disabled by bios or jumper
settings?
I have a OptiPlex Gx1 450L (Bios Revision A06) board with a ATI 3D Rage
Pro AGP 1x/2x video chip on it. Now I want to install a LCD monitor
under this system which needs a special video card (digital, Siemens
D964). So everything works fine under shell, but I was not able to
start X. Also I could not configure the new video card with
system-config-display. On starting system-config-display the screen
turns to black and the program is searching for the on-board video
chip although the monitor is still connected with the new pci video
card.
To build a working /etc/xorg.conf with this monitor and the pci video
card on an other copmuter and copy this file to the OptiPlex system
doesn't change anything.

So, I am totaly helpless at this point. Does anybody know how to get
this working? Has fc3 a possibility to knock out the on-board video
chip?

thank you
Olaf