yum problem on updating from fc2 to fc3

ashwin kesavan iyengar ashwin.chn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 08:58:23 UTC 2004

> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:44:56 +0000
> From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
> Subject: Re: yum problem on updating from fc2 to fc3
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> ashwin kesavan iyengar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >       I was using yum on fc2 it went fine even after editing yum.conf
> > (so that i could choose a mirror site). Today i ran yum for the first
> > time after upgrading to  fc3, it showed me the following error msg.
> > ------start err msg--------
> > not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping - #
> > not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping - #
> > Setting up Repo:  fedora-extras-stable
> > Error accessing file for config file:////etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-devel.repo
> > Error accessing file for config
> > file:////etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo
> > Error accessing file for config file:////etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
> > Error accessing file for config file:////etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo
> > Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: fedora-extras-stable
> > failure: repodata/repomd.xml from fedora-extras-stable: [Errno 256] No
> > more mirrors to try.
> > ------end err msg------
>
> yum has changed in FC3. The idea is that each repo has its own file in
> /etc/yum.repos.d and that /etc/yum.conf just has a few options in it that
> apply to all repos, with no actual repos included there.
>
> You should find a /etc/yum.conf.rpmnew file in the new format.
>
> Try this:
>
> # mv /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum.conf.old
> # mv /etc/yum.conf.rpmnew /etc/yum.conf
>
> > my yum.conf is as follows:
> >
> > -------start  yum.conf-------

<snip>
> > [updates-released]
> > name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> > baseurl=http://ftp.iitm.ac.in/fedora/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
> >   #changed this today & commented 2 lines below
> >        # http://mymirror.asiaosc.org/redhat/fedora/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
> >        # http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/redhat/fedora/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
> > gpgcheck=1
>
> The base and updates-released repos should now be defined in the fedora.repo
> and fedora-updates.repo files in the /etc/yum.repos.d directory.
>
> > [fedora-extras-stable]
> > name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - extra stable
> > baseurl=http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.stable
> >       http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/pub/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.stable
> > gpgcheck=1
>
> Fedora Extras does not yet have an FC3 repo. See for yourself by visiting one
> of the repos you have configured above:
>
> http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/pub/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/3/i386/RPMS.stable
>
> Paul.

The man pages of yum in FC3 doesn't mention about repos(at least in my
system),  where can i find a more detailed report about writing
yum.conf for repos. Do i hav to write a yum.conf for every server(the
one that provides the updates)? How about the ones that still have
header dir instead of a repos dir, like the fedora.us (extras).

thank you,

with regards,
ashwin