yum problem on updating from fc2 to fc3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Nov 27 10:37:40 UTC 2004

Hello,

please reply on-list for on-topic questions like this.

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 14:28 +0530, ashwin kesavan iyengar wrote:
> The man pages of yum in FC3 doesn't mention about repos(at least in my
> system),

You are right, "man yum.conf" appears to be a little out of date.

> where can i find a more detailed report about writing
> yum.conf for repos. Do i hav to write a yum.conf for every server(the
> one that provides the updates)?

It's not difficult. Basically all you do is split out each repo that you
would have included in your yum.conf in FC2 into a separate file
in /etc/yum.repos.d in FC3. You can see how this has been done for the
"standard" fedora base and updates-released repositories that come as
standard. You can still have multiple servers for a single repository
(which all go in the same file of course). You might want to read Thomas
Chung's article on setting up a local mirrorlist in FC3:

http://fedoranews.org/tchung/yum-mirrorlist/

> How about the ones that still have
> header dir instead of a repos dir, like the fedora.us (extras).

To the best of my knowledge, there is not yet a Fedora Extras repo for
FC3. When it appears, it will use a repodata directory instead of a
headers directory, just like the other repositories.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>