Fedora Core 3 hangs after 12 hours of inactivity

Colin Moore cmoore13 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 15:21:19 UTC 2004

I have tried to search for a solution to this problem but with no
luck. So I am hoping someone on here can help me.

My Machine:
Fedora Core 3
AMD 1800 XP
ASUS A78NX Deluxe Mother Board (on board dual lan/ on board 6 channel sound)
512 MB DDR Ram
60 GB Western Digital HD
SONY DVD Rom
Yamaha CDR/CDRW
Floppy Drive
TV Tuner Card (WinTV)
ATI Radeon 8500LE Video Card

Problem:

I start up my computer and it is useable and normal. I can go about my
normal routines. I can even ping the linux box from my windows based
laptop and I can even SSH into the linux box from the laptop as well.
Like I said everything is great.

But after a few hours of inactivity (usually once I got to bed and
wake up the next day) I find that the box is hung. The monitor just
says that there is no signal. When I try to ping the linux box from
the lap top I get host unreachable. When I try to SSH into the box I
get host timed out.

I then have to reboot the linux box (by pressing the restart button)
and once it reboots it is fine once again until the next time it
hangs.

I initally thought this might be a power management issue but double
checked that stuff and its all disabled.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be the problem?

I would appreciate any suggestions,

Thanks,
Colin