registering non-rpm programs?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sun Nov 28 06:05:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 04:53:26AM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > I'm running FC3. I have a couple of programs that are not available as
> > rpms that I had to install from source. I was just wondering if there is
> > a way to register them so that, for example, rpm -q myprogram would give
> > correct results. Does anyone has experience with that?
> http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

A good suggestion. Also, don't forget to check Fedora Tracker
<http://fedoratracker.org/tracker.py?mode=pkgSearch> -- the packages you're
looking for might be available in RPM form afterall.

Also, if you do have to install from source, make sure you install into
/usr/local or into /opt/programname -- that way, at least you're not making
a mess of the rpm-managed part of the system.