SpeedTouch 330 USB DSL kernel module

Bill Somerville bill at classdesign.com
Sun Nov 28 07:31:17 UTC 2004

Bill Somerville wrote:

>> I'm using the modem and have been trying to get it working for ages.
>> Give me a weekend and I'll see what I can do with the new information!
>>
>> Ever get the feeling of : Linux + complications = death?
>

> Well not quite that bad - after all I have it working at the moment. It
> just won't start up cleanly. I think that the problem is a basic kernel
> problem that has stopped the kernel mode driver working in a few
> versions. Hence lots of people have hacked it to get it going again
> (probably without internet access for help and coordination). Having two
> drivers floating around can't help either!!
>
> It needs a driver expert to sort out the kernel mode driver and someone
> to explain the right way to get the hotplug stuff working cleanly so
> that it loads the firmware when required, before the PPPoE or PPPoA
> stuff gets triggered. Once its up and running, it seems to go fine.

I've almost got this working now. I'm using 'hotplug' with the user-mode
driver. Beware that there are versions of modem_run around that don't
work as well as others! Ones that install in /usr/local/sbin by default
seem to be broken with FC2. The package that works for me is the one
that uses /etc/speedtouch.conf for configuration and I've had to set
MODEM_RUN_OPTIONS="-s" for a silver coloured SpeedTouch 330 (not s for
silver but s for skip!).

The remaining problem I have is that the modem won't 'coldplug' at
startup. The docs for 'hotplug' in FC2 mention an init script called
hotplug but it is missing from the package. The docs give no clues as to
what the init script might contain to 'find and fake' a hotplug event at
startup. Any one know why its been left out (deliberately I think)
because I think I need it.

>> Cheers,
>> Banana :-)
>>

> Bill Somerville