registering non-rpm programs?

Geoffrey Leach geoff at direcway.com
Sun Nov 28 18:09:01 UTC 2004

On 27-Nov-04, at 8:41 PM, Gustavo Seabra wrote:

> I'm running FC3. I have a couple of programs that are not available
> as rpms that I had to install from source. I was just wondering if
> there is a way to register them so that, for example, rpm -q
> myprogram would give correct results. Does anyone has experience
> with that?

Depending on what you're looking for, stow might be worth looking at.
Stow, available as an rpm in the fedora.us repository.  To use stow,
you configure with a prefix of /usr/local/stow/yourprog.  After
installing, you cd to /usr/local/stow and say '% stow yourprog', which
builds links in /usr/local to the installed files.  '% stow -D
yourprog' uninstalls it.

What I like about stow is that the install is completely self-
documenting, so I never have to figure out what needs to be removed.