Can't boot FC3

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 28 19:57:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Henrik Delphin wrote:

> I have just installed FC3, but (almost) every time i try to boot, it stops. It gets as far as 'Hardware Initializing ... Storage  Network  Audio' before it stops.
>
> On an online discussion forum i've been advised to turn off acpi, but I don't know exactly how to do it. Could somebody please give me a step-by-step guide to do this? Or if you think someting entirely different is the problem, tell me ;-)
>
> HW speqs
>
> AMD64 3k+
> 1024 MB ram
> AOpen AK86-L mobo (onboard sound)
>

> I've got both Win2k and  FC3 installed on the computer

There are plenty of posts on this topic in the archives (not necessarily AMD64)

The most likely culprit is 'bad X configuration'.  The worarround is
to boot without x/graphics - and try fixing up
x/graphics-configuration.

1. When you power on the machine - you should see the grub menu with the
message 'booting to Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667) in 5 sec' etc..

When you see this type 'e' for edit. (if you see another menu - type 'e' again)

2. Now you see something like:
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet

REMOVE the options 'rhgb quiet', and add '3' . - If you also wish to disable ACPI - add 'acpi=off'. I.e - after the edits - the line should look like:
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ 3 acpi=off

3. Now press 'enter' to get out of edit mode
4. Now press 'b' to boot with the changed options

Once the machine boots - login as 'root' and run
'system-config-display' to reconfigure-x (or to see the errors)

And make sure you get the latest updates - and retry. (whith 'yum
update')

Satish