Fedora Extras is extra

William M. Quarles quarlewm at jmu.edu
Sun Nov 28 22:24:01 UTC 2004

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On 11/28/2004 01:11:25 PM, William M. Quarles wrote:
>
> I will say that I specifically do not like the fact that some of the
> popular repositories out there offer packages that REPLACE Fedora Core
> packages in the same repository as their add on packages - they really
> should separate those out to a different repository so that users like
> me who want to think long and hard before replacing a core package
> won't have to worry about that. Fedora Extras does not replace Core
> packages, it is safe to use. When it is available ;)

Well, Fedora is hypothetically cutting and bleeding edge, but quite
frankly a lot of the packages that show up in it are out of date.  The
need for these maintainers to supply updated packages just points more
strongly at the fact that Fedora is running behind on some packages, and
updates are necessary for other software to be useful with it.

The Linux kernel itself has traditionally been missing a lot of
well-deserved optimizations, and Red Hat has made it a tradition to
modify the kernel for better hardware support and bug-fixes.  As for
kernel packages, some of the maintainers feel that they are doing the
same.  Planet CCRMA says exactly why they need to have a modified kernel.

<http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installkernelandsound.html>
<http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/system.html>

However, the nice thing about kernel packages is that they don't have to
replace the official packages.

Peace,
William