FC3: Wifi Uninstalled/re-installed after each boot

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 28 23:14:30 UTC 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Frank wrote:

> I had FC3 ethernet/wireless working on my Sharp MM20 until I started playing
> with home/work profiles.  I'm not sure what I changed to break things, but now
> everytime I boot kudzu tells me that my wireless "card" is gone, and a new one
> has appeared.  Even if I let kudzu uninstall and re-install, the next time I
> boot the same thing will happen.  Likewise if I tell kudzu to ignore the
> changes.
>
> In /etc/modprobe.conf I can see that eth0 and eth1 are both configured to use
> the 8139too Ethernet driver and a new eth2 is now aliased to the prism54
> driver.  Previously eth1 was the wifi.   If I fix this by hand, nothing works
> anymore.
>
> I imagine the first step to getting this under control is to get kudzo to
> recognize that I am not swapping wifi cards between boots.  (There is no card
> - wifi is built in.)
>
> Can I "Wipe the slate clean" with regards to installed hardware without doing
> a complete reinstall?
>
> Can anyone suggest what I might have changed that would cause this?
>
> What is the easiest way on FC3 to have different wifi/ethernet settings at
> home and at work?
>
> Am I asking the right questions?

Profiles should work - but its combersome. 'NetworkManager' is
supporsed fix this problem.

One thing thats not clear from your post is - are both 'wired' &
'wireless' builtin, (i.e you are not using ANY pcmcia cards?)

To get out of this mess - you can do the following:

- remove 'all the current eth0/eth1/etc2 configs
find /etc -type f -name "*eth*" -print

- remove 'alias eth*' from /etc/modprobe.conf

- To remove kudzu config - you can edit /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and
remove the eth* entries. (or just delete the file - and reboot - and
let kudzu reconfigures everything)

Personally - I have a simple 'alias' which copies over different
settings into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*ath0* - whenever I want
to change settings for my wireless device 'ath0'.

Satish