Why no /proc/config.gz on FC-3 kernel?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Nov 29 03:02:19 UTC 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 03:17:49AM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
>  > >  > One good reason to do it is that you can be sure the config matches
>  > >  > exactly what is currently running.
>  > >  ls /boot/config-`uname -r`
>  >
>  > It does not give the same guarantees as /proc/config.gz though, it may not
>  > even exist.
>
> The only way it wouldn't exist that's been demonstrated so far has been
> through someone cluelessly installing a kernel by non-standard means.
> (rpmbuild does the right thing, make install does the right thing, leaving
>  just a series of cp's/mv's by hand as the only possible way to screw up).

Fair enough, I wasn't aware this has become the standard enforced
practice.

> There's still no guarantee that /proc/config.gz exists either (supposing I
> enabled /proc/config.gz in the Fedora kernel). There's still the possibility
> that someone is running a self-compiled kernel with it disabled.

True, but if Red Hat would enable it, it will be influencing other users
to enable it too. BTW is it enabled by default in a vanilla kernel ?

> This thread has got about as interesting as the 'where is the
> kernel-source for fc3' threads.  Can we stop kicking this dead horse now?

This is my last then :) I'm sure people hoped it was still alive or
at least stuburnly playing dead, but if you say it's dead...