2 DNS, one machine

Randy toucan at tropicalrain.us
Mon Nov 29 03:02:14 UTC 2004

Hello Bruce,
    I think you need two DNS *ADDRESSES*, not two DNS *SERVERS*.  I have a
DNS server set up on my internal network, but my ISP would get very
irritable with me if I attempted to put a DNS server on the external
interface. :-)
    If you are setting up a home network, and the linux server won't be
your firewall (it can't, if it doesn't have two network ports), then I'd
recommend going to the local Walmart or Best Buy and grabbing a $30
hardware firewall/router.  Hook up your cable modem or DSL to the external
port, then hook up your linux server and other computers to the internal
ports.  Default config on most hardware firewalls is Ok.  Not perfect, but
Ok.  Usually they are set up as stafefull firewalls, so they don't allow
ANY incoming traffic unless a computer on the inside has requested
it.  Most are also set up to provide DHCP addresses to any computers on the
internal network.
    Once this is hooked up, both your computers are protected by the
firewall, they can both reach the internet, and they can talk to each
other.  Most people use 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x for the internal network.
    Alternatively, if you have multiple network ports, you can set up a
separate DNS server for every local subnet, reserving one port for the
internet connection of course, then set up a NAT (network address
translation) firewall with iptables.  :-)

Regards,
Randy