Mail server upgrade

Paul Michael Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Mon Nov 29 05:33:04 UTC 2004

It is time for me to migrate my mail system to FC3.  It is a RH9 system
running sendmail/procmail and UW-imapd.  I don't see any compelling
reason to change sendmail/procmail but the lack of support for uw-imapd
is pretty compelling to switch the IMAP server.  The tenor of the mail
archives seems to point to dovecot as the IMAP server of choice for
someone like myself who is running a small shop and wants to have a
secure, simple and supported (out of the box, so to speak) solution.
The cyrus solution comes in a very close second.

The dovecot wiki has good support documentation for the migration but
before I jump in I'd like to get some opinions from people on this list
on what to watch out for, etc. that will make the migration as smooth as
possible.

As near as I can tell, it looks like all I need to do is save the
current sendmail configuration, the current /var/spool/mail/* files,
install FC3 fresh, restore the sendmail config and /var/spool/mail/*
files, enable and configure dovecot per the wiki migration notes and
then reconnect the system to the net.  And it will work like a charm. :-)

I use TDMA for spam control now but would love to hear opinions on why I
should either keep TDMA or switch to spamassasin from those who have
faced that decision.

Thanks,

-pmr