No sound on laptop after FC1->FC3 upgrade

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Mon Nov 29 06:47:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 09:19 -0600, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> IBM Thinkpad A22p with Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear
> SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] chip. Worked fine under FC1. After
> upgrading to FC3, I get no sound output at all from RealPlayer 8.0-1, or
> anything else.

Adding to my original post... When I run System Settings -> Soundcard
Detection and click on the [ Play test sound ] bar, I can hear the test
sound, but _very_ faintly.

When I run 'setup' from an Xterm command prompt and select 'Sound card
configuration', it runs sndconfig which promptly reports:

                 --| ERROR: No Sound Modules found |--

        You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound
        enabled. (soundcore.o was not found in the module search path).
        To use sndconfig, you must be running a kernel with modular
        sound, such as the kernel shipped with Red Hat Linux or a 2.2
        or greater kernel.

This is not surprising because soundcore.o is now named soundcore.ko. I
note that sndconfig says it's a tool for legacy sound cards. As such,
should it be replaced by a more up-to-date tool in 'setup'?

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov